We have a 4th-5th grade teaching position available at Colegio Americano del Sur (CAS) for our 2020 school year. (Our school year is from January thru November 8th.)
The classes that are taught in English at this level are the Language Arts class, the Environment or Science class, Social Studies and Reading the World which is taught in both languages. There are other activities such as support programs which allow opportunities to reinforce skills.
Our school is an experimental/laboratory school which provides opportunities to practice cutting edge teaching strategies. There is ample flexibility and new ideas are welcomed and encouraged. We are engaged with Maker Space, Socratic Seminars, Robotics, Math Initiatives, Project Based Learning and Professional Learning Communities (PLC).We have a very strong technology department that is involved school-wide. We spent a lot of time with school-wide community engagement programs with local the local public schools.
The qualifications for this elementary position are the following:
- a minimum of 1 or 2 years classroom experience and proven skills in leadership, group facilitation, organization, writing, listening and communication.
- ability to work independently.
- excellent communication skills.
- a passion for student achievement, the conviction that all students will learn, and a high drive to meet the needs of every student.
- an intimate understanding of U.S. education.
- be a strong advocate for student and student learning
- ability to differentiate curriculum and instruction for diverse ability learners.
- current in educational research through on-line research and literature.
- support the use of a comprehensive assessment system to inform instruction and enrichment opportunities for students
- think outside of the box when planning lessons.
- teach the English Language Arts, Social Studies and Environment classes.
- flexibility to take on responsibilities that are not included in actual job description when necessary. (Common in all international school settings.)
If you are interested in gaining exposure to living abroad and teaching in a foreign country this would be the best choice you could make. We have a student body of 315 students ranging from Nursery to 12th grade. All our students go on to college when they complete high school. Teaching with us is an opportunity to be exposed to Spanish as well. (You do not need to speak Spanish for this position.)
Interested in having an experience that will change your life? Ready to get to know a culture rich in Mayan background and beauty? Choose Guatemala! Weekends are free to explore the various sections of the country which are uniquely different. It is not expensive and you can travel safely and economically to most all areas.
One year contracts are easily renewed upon agreement of both sides. We are waiting for you to join our FANTASTIC TEAM!